Spruce up that wall!

I am not afraid of mixing paint and you shouldn’t be either.  The worst thing that can happen is you have to paint again!  I mentioned in my last post about Oops paint- great stuff.  I also buy the little acrylic art paints to add to wall paint.  They are acrylics too so, as long as you are using a water based acrylic paint for your walls, you are okay.  (The paint will be labeled water-base acrylic paint – ask your local retailer if you aren’t sure).

Take a look at the wall in this photo-

I would not call it stellar!  There is a swamp cooler and a window that looks out at a tree trunk and a wire fence of the next door neighbors.  Yuck.  What could be done to improve this?  A couple of things…  First off, color!  The cathedral ceiling and beams are a warm white, the furniture in the space has a geometric pattern and has greens, blues, browns in it.  Upon further examination, the favored color was green so that is the color I focused on.

 

I started with a dark color base- almost a forest green and painted the wall that color- not all of the walls, just the one in the picture.  Next, using a rag (yup, just a rag) I took a lighter color of green paint (quart-size) and added a small container (2 fl. oz) of acrylic paint with metallic properties.  I went with a pearlized ivory.  I put them in a bowl actually and mixed them and added some water to thin the paint so I could soak the rag with it and then swirl it on the wall.  I used rounded strokes and applied it to the wall, some of the forest green was able to show through too.

 

I then took another small container of the metallic acrylic paint (2 fl. oz.), watered it down and used my rag and swirled some on to add a visual texture that reflected the light.  That was it!  The wall turned into a focal point instead of just a blah wall.  I also chose a tapestry that could hang over the lovely swamp cooler (the tapestry can be removed when the swamp cooler is being used) and I chose some shear curtains and some greenery for the window area.  Here is the finished product:

So, for about $15 in paint and about three hours of my time, I had a great focal point.  Take care!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s