Are you having your parents or an older relative visit for the holiday? Accommodating an elderly relative may not require a total remodeling; a few changes and low-cost purchases can make your home more accessible and visitable for the holidays. Consider the following adaptations:
- Consider having your senior visitor sleep on the main floor so they don’t have to go up and down stairs.
- Replace door knobs with door levers making it easier for everyone to open doors, not just your visitor.
- Consider your seniors’ safety by adding some walk-off carpets (low pile, rubber backing) on potentially slippery floors in the entryway,in the bathroom, and in the kitchen.
- Make sure any and all throw rugs you have down have low pile & good traction backing to prevent tripping-(or pick them up).
- Install a hand-held shower head.
- Buy a transport bench (available at most pharmacies and some big box stores) for easier access to and from the tub. The benches extend beyond the side of tub for easier access into it.
- Consider purchasing a portable shower chair for your visitors safety at a pharmacy or big box store.
- Consider a portable raised toilet seat with support bars. http://ht.ly/3mJZh (also available at most pharmacies and some big box stores).
- Consider night lights and/or motion sensor lights so they aren’t moving around in the dark or unfamiliar place.